New “Virtual” Dates: Friday, August 21 - Sunday, August 23
We are busy setting up an awesome virtual event for all of you. Due to our transition we’ve revised our dates to tighten the Convention to three days. The 2020 NASFiC will now be held Noon Friday, August 21st– Sunday, August 23rd.
Ohio Geography in Virtual Room Names: The Olentangy, and The Scioto
While the Columbus, Ohio NASFiC has now gone completely virtual, we wanted to retain some local flavor. The Panel “Room” tabs and Discord channels are thus named Scioto and Olentangy. The Scioto River and the Olentangy River are the two rivers that flow through Columbus, Ohio. The Olentangy flows into the Scioto, which later joins the Ohio River. Both names come from Native American languages. Scioto means “Deer” in Wyandot, and Olentangy means “River of the red face paint” in Delaware.
What exactly is Worldcon or NASFiC? How are they related?
The World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon) is an annual convention held since 1939 (skipping 1942-1945), which gathers fans (and pros) from around the world. Worldcon is also where members vote for the Hugo awards.
Whenever Worldcon is held off of North America, a North American Science Fiction Convention (NASFiC), is optionally held as well. The NASFiC is an alternative for fans who can’t make it to Worldcon overseas. The location of the NASFiC is determined by members of a Worldcon (or NASFiC) through a voting process.
Worldcon 78 (2020) was to be held in Wellington, New Zealand. Visit https://conzealand.nz for details. The NASFiC for 2020 was to be in Columbus, OH. Both became virtual conventions held online.
2020 Columbus NASFiC Concom List
- Chair Lisa Garrison email@example.com
- Vice Chair & IT Dale Mazzola firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer & Pre-Registration Kim Williams email@example.com
- Tech Director Alan Bond firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistant Tech Director Syd Weinstein
- Website Matt Arnold
- Streaming Dragos Ruiu,
- Discord MIchael Rafferty, Kristin Seibert,
- Info Desk Walter Parker
- Club Tables Gary Blog
- Programming Anne Gray, Hafidha Acuay email@example.com
- RoFCon Joy Ward (co-editor with Eric Flynt of Ring of Fire Press)
- General & Art Jeff Beeler
- Events Alan Bond firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies Rob Stewart
- Masquerade Jackie Nordquist
- Parties and Socials Kristin Seibert email@example.com
- Filk Concerts Roberta Slocumb
- Participatory Music Jeff Keller
- Dealers Angela Jones-Parker firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Media Katharine Bond
- Souvenir Book Joseph Vlad Stockman email@example.com
- At-Con Newsletter Tammy Coxen
- Fanzine Lounge Mowgli Assor
- Volunteers Don Glover
And a whole-lot more. There have been so many of you who have helped us through the bidding process and with planning for the in person convention who are not represented on this list. So many who volunteered and then got waylay-ed by our new realities and where unable to continue through to the convention. There are many of you volunteering to help us as Moderators, Zoom hosts, and Chat Wranglers. We appreciate all of you!!